Best Arusha Safari Tours
When one plans of going to Tanzania, it is most likely that the city of Arusha will appear in at least one or two of the search pages. Why? Arusha is the main hub for top safari parks especially in the northern safari circuit of Tanzania. This includes Serengeti, Mount Kilimanjaro, and Ngorongoro Crater.
Additionally, Arusha holds domestic and international airports and public transportation hubs that connect to other major cities on the continent. In this article, we will cover the most renowned safaris from Arusha Tanzania and information on how to get here, what you need to get here, etc.
Take the unique opportunity to step inside Arusha Cultutal Heritage on your visit to Arusha. People from all over the world also visit Cultural Heritage Arusha, for its unrivaled reputation of having the finest Tanzanite stones which are also found in the Mererani hills of Tanzania, best in the world. The interior has three areas (i) History, (ii) Wildlife and (iii) soul.
Return Cost from City Center : $ 45
Take your time to discover the beauty of Arusha city from Clock tower (the half way between Cairo Egypt to Johannesburg South Africa) and take walking to Maasai Market, proceed to Arusha Declaration monument and museum, central market to learn different African spices, vegetable and fruits.
Proffesional Guided tour : $ 35
Arusha National Park Day Safari Canoeing Trip is a canoe safari + a game drive excursion into the Arusha National Park. Arusha National Park is located 29 kilometers east of Arusha city and approximately 60 km from Kilimanjaro International Airport. The Canoeing boat trip is done on Momella Lakes locate in the park.
Return Cost from city center : $ 200
About Arusha City
Arusha city lies in a green, fertile environment against Mount Meru. It is a large and vast city with all its contradictions.
Just outside the city is the Arusha National Park, a gem for a day safari.
Arusha city is a multicultural city with a predominantly Tanzanian population with a mixed background: indigenous Bantu, Arab-Tanzanian and Indian-Tanzanian population, plus a small white European and American minority group.
Arusha National Park’s climate is normally pleasant and mild. It is usually cool to cold at night and in the early morning and it rarely gets hot during the day. It is important to pack warm clothing for use in the evenings and game drives in the early morning.
The Dry season is from June to September, and there are two Wet seasons: the ‘long rains’ (March to May) and the ‘short rains’ (November to December). The rainy season consists of afternoon thundershowers, but it would be rare for it to rain all day. Arusha NP incorporates Mount Meru and the area at the base of the mountain and tends to get slightly more rain and clouds..
1. Arusha is considered the de facto capital of East Africa and is an important international diplomatic center of the country.
2. Arusha city is also called the Geneva of Africa, one of the most prosperous cities of Tanzania and a peaceful idyll of relaxation before the start of an exciting journey.
3. Since 1994, Arusha city has been hosting the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
4. Arusha city was first inhabited in the 1830s by the agro-pastoral Arusha Maasai from the Arusha Chini community, south of Kilimanjaro. They exchanged grains, honey, beer and tobacco with the pastoral Kisongo Maasai in exchange for livestock, milk, meat and skins.
5. Although Arusha city is close to the equator, its high location on the southern slopes of Mount Meru keeps temperatures and humidity relatively low.
6. “Arusha city is the city of my roots. I have lived here for 13 years,” said Marjolijn Pronk, founder and owner of Explore Tanzania.
Best Hotels in Arusha
Mount Meru Hotel
Set at the foot of Mount Meru and located opposite Arusha Golf Course, the 4-star Mount Meru Hotel features an outdoor pool, fitness centre and 24-hour front desk.
Four Point Sheraton Arusha
Offering a gym, a restaurant and a swimming pool surrounded by gardens, Four Points by Sheraton, The Hotel is conveniently located by the city centre.
Fun Retreat Resort
Featuring water sports facilities and a sun terrace with a swimming pool, Fun Retreat is located in Arusha, 3.9 km from Njiro Complex and 7 km from Old German Boma.
Arusha city Video & FAQs
Situated at the foot of the beautiful Mount Meru, Arusha is known as the safari capital of Tanzania’s Northern Safari Circuit. It’s a bustling city filled with an interesting mix of markets, chaotic traffic, old colonial buildings and modern conveniences, like coffee shops with WiFi, and an array of great restaurants.
- #1: Climbing mount Meru.
- #2: Book a northern circuit Tanzania safari tour.
- #3: Visit the Arusha National Park.
- #4: Nature walk at Lake Duluti.
- #5: Go to Meserani Snake Park.
- #6: Canoeing on Lake Momella.
- #7: Pay a visit to the national natural history museum Arusha.
- #8: Visit the maasai tribe.
YES, but not alone, As most incidents happen in big cities everywhere around the world, we do not recommend to walk alone in the city after dark (7pm). This rule applies throughout Africa and not just Tanzania. Use safe transport like taxis or ask your hotel or guide to arrange the transfer.
Arusha has a higher quality of life than some of the other areas of Tanzania. As an ex-pat, you can easily get an affordable home with most of the same amenities you have in your home country. The country does have random power and water outages though.
Arusha National Park is the closest park to the town with the similar name. It is a popular destination for day trip visitors who are about to embark from the town of Arusha on longer northern circuit safaris.